Where do liver metastases come from?
The circulatory system has a rather complex structure with its sources, manufacturers and filters.
So it is the liver that performs the function of a cleansing system. It is the only organ with the ability to heal itself, as well as exhibiting the vivid symptoms of its damage.
You understand that cancer in the liver appears due to blood circulation. In fact, these are cells of the main tumor, which have settled on the filter of the body and have begun to grow actively.
However, not every cancer can metastasize to the liver. Tumors are like a living organism, they act selectively.
So, if treatment of recently discovered metastasis in the liver is necessary, the presence of such pathologies should be suspected:
- tumors of the rectum;
- stomach damage;
- pancreas cancer;
- gastrointestinal lesions, cancer can be within any intestine, and this is a favorable localization for the passage of its cells in the liver;
- tumors in the mammary gland.
It is extremely rare in the area of the liver to metastasize tumors of the lung, urinary system in women, kidneys and prostate in men.
Also rare are lesions of this organ in neoplasms in the brain.
The liver has a special circulatory system. Thus, the blood in this organ comes not only through the arteries, but also through the portal vein.
In fact, it is the delivery of fluid to be cleaned from the intestine. On average, every minute 1.5 liters of blood pass through the liver.
At the same time up to 75% of the fluid comes from the intestine. After that, the incoming blood is retained in the organ, the arterial and venous fluids are mixed, then it is directed through the hepatic vein into the inferior vena cava.
As you can see, the conditions for the sedimentation of atypical cells that have come from the intestine or another part of the body are more than favorable.
In the case of the spread of the pathological process from the pancreas, it is becoming increasingly clear.
Symptoms of liver metastasis
The development of a malignant process is important to notice in time to begin treatment as early as possible. Therefore, it is worth paying attention to the symptoms of the lesion.
If it is the liver, the signs of the tumors will be:
- General weakness.
- The rapid decline in working capacity.
- Dramatic weight loss. At the same time, the person literally looks haggard.
- Characteristic symptoms of liver and intestinal cancers, lack of appetite.
- Decreased appetite. This symptom is also characteristic of the defeat of the pancreas and any parts of the intestine.
- Intoxication. It usually manifests as nausea and vomiting. These are symptoms of cancer of any parts of the gastrointestinal tract from the pancreas to the rectum.
- The skin has a gray tint. This is a sure symptom that there is a threat to life. It is precisely because of the condition of the dermis that a number of ailments can be suspected, the treatment of which should be urgent.
- The appearance of spider veins. This symptom can talk about 1 - 2 degrees of varicose veins or cancer metastases to the liver.
- Pain syndrome. Feelings have a dull, oppressive character. It should be understood that the pain does not appear immediately and indicates that liver metastases have already reached a significant size.Usually patients with such pathologies require urgent treatment. It’s quite difficult to answer the question of how long a disease lives at this stage of development. It is also worth considering that the pain may indicate damage to the pancreas, stomach or any other part of the gastrointestinal tract. The intensity of sensations depends on the degree of development of the disease.
- Heat or subfebrile temperature. This symptom should make you think, because inflammation points to the process of active tumor growth. The question of how long the patient will live is quite complicated, it all depends on the timeliness of referral to a doctor.
- Yellow one The skin turns yellow. Hepatitis or cirrhosis is usually suspected, but this symptom may indicate cancer. All ills are complex and it is quite difficult to predict how long the patient will live.
- Dropsy belly. This symptom may indicate damage to the liver, stomach, pancreas, or other part of the gastrointestinal tract. Treatment must be urgent! Indeed, even in itself ascites is fraught with serious consequences and even death.
- Flatulence. This is a common symptom of damage to the digestive tract organs, including pancreatic, liver, stomach, etc.
- Disorders in the gastrointestinal tract. Indigestion will be systematic, so it is easy to distinguish it from the banal poisoning.
- Gastroesophageal bleeding. Blood can go from the mouth or anus, occur in vomit and feces. At the same time, it is quite difficult to understand how much the patient lives - it all depends on the extent of the damage.
Treatment of problems such as liver metastases should be complex. It depends on how symptoms are developed and how the tumor behaves, liver metastases.
This is usually a combination of chemotherapy and radiation. After all, the liver is able to regenerate, so the body is trying to heal itself.
If these methods did not help, radical resection, laser or radiosurgery is used. The main thing is to believe in success and not fall into depression.
It is proved that the psychological state of the patient significantly affects the success of therapy. Fight and you will overcome any ailment!