We wash the fuel system of cars with their own hands
Periodic flushing of the engine fuel system is necessary for all cars. The chemical composition of gasoline contains elements that, when burned, settle on the walls of the fuel line and injectors, reducing the efficiency of the unit and increasing fuel consumption. If for some reason we cannot or do not want to seek help from the service station, one thing remains - to flush the fuel system with our own hands.
Signs of fuel system contamination
At first, let us examine the signs of contamination of the fuel system. Experienced drivers can almost intuitively diagnose the condition of the engine. And what about those who bought their first car? We advise you to pay attention to the following symptoms.
- The car lost its agility. The engine slows down to the accelerator pedal, accelerates the car slows down.
- With a sharp pressure on the gas pedal the car "chokes."
- During acceleration in acceleration, “failures” are observed.
- The car does not start with a half-turn, there are problems with starting a cold engine.
- Significantly (on average by 20%) fuel consumption increases.
The above features of the engine are indirect signs of contamination of the fuel system. The final conclusion can be given only by the workshop master. But even in the absence of such failures in the motor must be periodically carry out preventive cleaning of the fuel system in new cars every 5,000 kilometers (using additives). Cars older (with a mileage of 50 000 km) require attention every 30-40 thousand. Km (cleaning nozzles). Fuel system of cars with mileage of more than 150 000 km it is necessary to expose the full procleaning and then wash jets every 30 thousand. Km.
Do it yourself carburetor
The litmus test by which you can determine whether it's time to clean the carburetor, spark plugs are used. If they are covered with soot and are black, it means that the fuel supplied is greater than necessary, and the carburetor needs to be cleaned.
The normal color of the candles is gray-brown. In this case, you can not worry: the fuel system of the car is in order.
To clean the carburetor, you need the following tools and materials:
- clean, lint-free rags;
- rubber protective gloves;
- special carburetor cleaner (preferably in the form of an aerosol with a mounted thin tube that can penetrate hard-to-reach places);
- a set of keys and screwdrivers;
- rubber pear;
- protective glasses;
- the tank in which the carburetor parts will be washed (a metal basin will do).
And now directly on the washing process.
- Disconnect the manual starter and remove the engine cover to provide access to the carburetor.
- Remove the compression pump from the fuel line. Disconnect all wires from the carburetor.
- Remove the bolts holding the unit and remove it.
- Disassemble the carburetor for parts, after disconnecting the casing.
- To avoid damage to the cleaning agent, remove the float and the needle of the float valve from the carburetor. Shake the float. If at the same time you hear gurgling sounds, it will have to be changed.
- The float chamber is cleaned with a rubber bulb, with which the remaining fuel is sucked in, after which the bottom of the chamber is cleaned with a hard brush.In this case, in any case, you can not lower the carburetor cover float down.
- We clean the main air jets with compressed air. In case of severe clogging, you can use thin copper wire.
- Next you need to remove the high-performance nozzle. If it is non-removable, remove the cap, otherwise the jet will not be flushed from the inside.
- Soak the carburetor parts in the tank where you have previously poured the cleaning agent. When handling hard-to-reach places, use an aerosol with a nozzle. The duration of the soaking procedure depends on the cleaning agent you have chosen. Non-metallic parts (diaphragm, gaskets) should be washed separately using gasoline. The carburetor cleaner is not designed for plastic and may damage it.
- Dry the parts with a dry cloth and let them dry well.
- Assemble the carburetor and install it on the car.
We proceed to consider the next type of engine.
Flushing the fuel system of an injection engine
Washing of the fuel system of injection internal combustion engines (ICE) can be done in several ways.
|Way||In what cases is used||Merits||disadvantages|
|with additives||How to prevent clogging of the system in new cars (every 5 thousand km)||Simplicity: the additive simply poured into the tank||Unacceptable when you have a car with high mileage|
|without removing the injectors||Recommended for cars with mileage up to 30 thousand km||The speed and ease of execution, does not require special knowledge||
Does not clear the gas tank and fuel line, visually the quality of the washing is not determined
|with the removal of nozzles||Used when the mileage of the car exceeds 30 thousand km||
Efficiency, visually determined flushing quality
|Does not provide cleaning of all elements of the system.|
|with dismantling and cleaning of all elements||It is used in cases when the mileage of cars has exceeded 50 thousand km||The most effective method||The most time consuming method|
The flushing algorithm of the entire system
To clean the fuel injection system with your own hands, you will need:
- a set of keys and screwdrivers;
- spare fuel pump;
- air tank or compressor.
- Remove the fuel rail, which are injectors. It is better to entrust the cleaning of the nozzles to professionals, they will do it better. Those who want to do this on their own, below we will tell how to do it.The ramp is purged (use an air bottle) and washed with gasoline.
- We clean the throttle: carbon deposits on it increases fuel consumption by 5-10%.
- We unscrew the old fine fuel filter (its place is under the bottom or under the hood on the fuel line) and change it to a new one.
- We take out the fuel pump from the tank - instead, it is also better to put a new one. When there is no such possibility, it is worth replacing the filter mesh located at the entrance to the fuel pump. It is usually heavily clogged.
- When dismantling the fuel equipment is complete, blow all pipelines with a compressor.
- We remove the tank and purge it using a compressor or an air cylinder.
We can proceed to the assembly and testing of the system.
Nozzle flushing algorithm
Those who want to wash the nozzles with their own hands, we recommend to act in the following order:
- Prepare the necessary tools and materials - 2 cans of carburetor cleaner (aerosol), insulation tape, 12 V light bulb, wires, 0.5 m of hose (with a diameter suitable for your nozzles), and a doorbell button.
- After removing the nozzles from the ramp, inspect them and determine where the feed channel is and where the spray is (it is usually covered with a brown oily coating).
- If there is a net filter on the nozzles, remove it along with the rubber seals.
- Assemble the cleaning system. After wrapping the tape on the spray tube of the aerosol can, insert it into the nozzle feed channel. If this fails, use a hose as an adapter, taping one of the ends to the nozzle with the tape, the second to the spray can.
- Make an electrical circuit as shown below: one of the wires is connected to the “plus” on the battery, light bulb and “+” on the nozzle terminal, the second is connected to the “minus” of the battery, the doorbell button and the “minus” nozzle terminal.
- Create a pressure in the nozzle by attaching a can to it in the manner described in section 4 and pressing its valve. At the same time, press the bell button. A non-uniform fuel plume should break out of the nozzle. Repeat the process until the torch is even.
When installing nozzles, we advise you to replace the rubber seals with new ones.
Washing the fuel system of a diesel engine
When washing a diesel engine, you will need:
- washing fluid for diesel engines at the rate of 1 l per 2000 cm3;
- 2 fuel fine filters for diesel ICE (not paper);
- clean and dry plastic bottle with a volume of 1.5-2 liters with a cut throat;
- 3 transparent hoses 2 m each;
- hose clamps;
- Pour liquid into the plastic bottle. Be careful: it is poisonous. Try not to touch it with unprotected hands and avoid contact with the body, otherwise you will have to learn the basics of self-painting cars.
- We disconnect from the high-pressure pump (high-pressure fuel pump) the return and supply, instead of which we fix transparent hoses prepared by us with the help of clamps, dropping their second ends into the bottle with flushing liquid.
- Start the engine. We give it to work at idle speed for 15 minutes, at the end of gasification, wait for 3 minutes at idle and turn off.
- Make a 20-minute pause. During this time, the deposits otkisyut, and the liquid cools. Repeat the procedure several times until full use of the cleaner.
- In no case do not let the engine stall due to lack of fluid: you must have time to stop the engine before it ends, otherwise the electronics may suffer.
- Connect the native fuel hoses and start the car. Turn off the engine only after it starts to work quietly and smoothly.
This completes the flushing of the fuel system.Those who feel the potential and the desire to learn other skills related to the repair and maintenance of the car, we will tell you how to perform an overhaul of the engine with your own hands, protect the body from corrosion and self-trim the roof.
Video guide for home cleaning nozzles: