Island of bad luck
Mtingo Island is located in Africa, on Lake Victoria. Its area is very small - 1800 square meters. m, but it is home to 131 people in shacks. This is an island of fishermen, and the people living here organized the “Senate Republic” and do not allow strangers into their community. The island is a disputed territory between Kenya and Uganda.
The island of Mingo was inhabited recently - in 1991. Then two Kenyan fishermen Dalmas Tembo and Dorj Kibebe decided to land on it. The guys were preparing seriously before heading to Mtingo, they conducted a rite of exile for evil spirits. The reason is in the legends - among Africans living around Lake Victoria, there was a belief that the island is the home of the evil spirit Kalela. The old sorcerer expelled Calela. Tembo later admitted that they had to give 300 kg of fish for this ceremony. In my opinion, 300 kg of fish per island is inexpensive. It is not clear why the sorcerer has so many fish!
After that, about 60 Africans from Kenya, Uganda and Tanzania joined the two brave fishermen. One of their motives for settling on M'ggo was not only the possibility of a good catch, but also the creation of a commune, where there would be no inequality and evil.By 2009, the population of M'ingo reached 131 people, and after that the “honorary senators”, the first settlers of Tembo and Kibebe decided to cease admission to the commune.
The main catch here is Nile perch, for a week a family can earn up to 200-250 dollars - in neighboring countries this is the average salary of Africans in 2-3 months.
To preserve the independence of the “state” Mingo allows that the island is controversial between Kenya and Uganda - neither one nor the other country can incorporate it into its territory, and therefore they close their eyes to these fishermen.
Over the past twenty years, both countries have been involved in armed conflict nine times over Mngingo. Island fishermen caused serious disputes. At first, the coast guard of both Kenya and Uganda broke the boats of fishermen, tore up their nets and even shot 6 people dead. But then both countries came to the agreement that the commune should pay tax to both.
As a result, the tax that goes to Kenya and Uganda amounts to about 25% of the earnings of fishermen and both. Another 10% of earnings go to the maintenance of the apparatus and the forces of self-defense of the commune (although what kind of self-defense there is against regular troops!).That is, the residents of Mingo have to pay 60% of their earnings for their freedom. But even the remaining 40% of earnings help them live many times better than the rest of the neighbors on Lake Victoria. The island of Africa is a village of fishermen
On this island there are five bars, a beauty salon, a pharmacy, as well as several hotels and four brothels - men are busy fishing, and their wives and relatives work part-time in their bodies. Island of fishermen and sin. But according to the rules of the mingo commune, a stranger can not be here for more than a day.
The commune is managed for life by two “honorary senators” Tembo and Kibebe - its founding fathers, as well as five more elected senators (they can only be men over 30 years old). Decisions in the seven senators are made by a simple majority.
The maximum punishment on the island is the expulsion from it, a simple punishment - flogging with straw whips. For twenty years of existence on the island of fishermen of the “state” six people were expelled from it, all for theft.
Next to Mingo, 200 meters away is another island, Usingo. They write that it is still uninhabited, although judging by the photo there are buildings (maybe just a warehouse).But despite the terrible crampiness in the “commune”, it is believed that Usingo also has an evil spirit, another one named Tuk. The evil spirit of Kalela, who was expelled from Mingo, allegedly moved there.
All this time, the residents of the “commune” have not been able to find a strong sorcerer who would be able to overcome two powerful evil spirits at once. Usingo is also controversial between Kenya and Uganda, but soldiers from the armies of both countries refuse to settle on it for the same reason - because of the evil spirits living on it. At Usingo there are only a few temporary buildings where biologists occasionally stop studying Lake Victoria and its inhabitants.