How to set up a satellite dish?
Watch the video
Satellite dishes allow you to receivetelevision broadcasting, transmitted by special communication satellites, which are located in near-earth orbit. A set of such a system includes a TV tuner (receiver), a converter and, directly, an antenna, popularly called a "plate".
To ensure the operation of the entire complex, it is importantcorrectly set the antenna, adjust it to receive signals from certain satellites in the coverage area of which you are, and also debug the operation of the receiver. How to do it correctly and what points you will consider when reading this article.
How to install a satellite dish
Location of satellites
The density of satellites broadcasting on the territoryEastern Europe and Siberia is quite high. That's why offset satellite dishes are gaining popularity. Their main advantage is the technical possibility of installing several converters tuned to receive signals from different satellites. To do this, they are equipped with a special DiSEqS-switch, which automatically switches the tuner to receive data from one converter to another, depending on which satellite you are watching.
Satellites rotate in a geocentric orbit (around the Earth) and make one revolution in 24 hours. Thus, the satellites seem to hang over one of the points on the surface of the planet. For example:
- the Sirius satellite is located - 5 degrees east longitude (5E);
- Hot Bird satellite - 13 degrees east longitude (13E);
- the Amos satellite is 4 degrees west longitude (4W).
At the same time, they are all located closer to the equator relative to the mid-latitude, so the "dishes" of the mirror satellite antennas should be directed to the south.
So, if your house is located in an area32 degrees (32E) of eastern longitude, the antenna converter will need to be directed approximately 28 degrees (32E-5E = 28E) east of the south (to the right of the compass needle) for receiving the signal of the Sirius satellite; on 19 (32E-13E = 19) and 36 (32E + 4W, because you need to take into account 32 degrees to zero longitude and 4 after it) degrees east of the south direction, respectively, for the other two satellites.
At the same time, the right side converter will receive the satellite signal Amos, the central one - Sirius, and the left one - Hot Bird.
Useful when installing converters cancompass - to determine the sides of the world. And from professional tools use Sat-Finder - a special device that shows the strength of the incoming signal.
About the choice of the most suitable place for the location of the "dish" read in our article How to install the antenna.
- The base, which is equipped with a satelliteantennas, it is necessary to install so that the protruding attachment pin is located perpendicular to the horizontal surface, without deviating to the right or to the left. Be sure to fasten the frame to all provided fasteners with anchor bolts or dowels.
- Fit the central mirror bracketantenna central converter, as well as multifid (special mounts for side converters). First set the left multi-thread (if you face the "plate"). To do this, attach the metal bar, securing itbolt, then a metal pin with a converter holder. On the pin, install the converter itself.
- Install the right multi-thread in the same way. Do not over tighten the connectors too tightly, as the exact angle of the converter's rotation is not calculated arithmetically, and you will have to adjust them even after installing the antenna.
- Connect the DiSEqC switch using threepieces of wire. To the cleaned ends of the wires F-connectors are connected. One end is connected to the converter, and the other to the switch inputs. The length of the wires depends on where you plan to attach the switch, usually about 1 meter of cable is required. On the technical specifications for the wire, read in our article How to connect a plate.
- Assemble the satellite dishframe (wall fastening). Mount it with bolts, only until you tighten it completely, so that you can turn the mirror right-to-left, up and down.
- Thus, the "plate" should be directed to the south. Connect the same connector in the direction of the selected satellites (the difference in angles should not be more than 10-15 degrees).
How to setup a satellite dish yourself
Before starting the setup, you need to connectreceiver to the TV and perform the installation of the required parameters according to the attached instruction. After this, you can proceed to alternately configure each of the converters of your antenna.
- The central converter is first tuned,receiving signals from Sirius. To do this, connect the wire from the connector to the first input of the DiSEqC switch. And the Receiver's output of the switch is connected by a cable with the tuner's input.
- Use the remote to enter the main menu and select the "Antenna installation" mode, in the "Manual search" tab, set the following parameters: frequency - 11.766 GHz, polarization "H", flow rate - 27500SR.
- Catch the satellite signal. Focus on the quality score, turn the plate to the right or left, achieving the maximum value of the signal. Having received the best quality indicators, fix the converter in this position.
- Select the auto scan mode and check whether your antenna has tuned in to that satellite. If all is correct, a list of channels appears.
- Now carefully tighten all the antenna mounts,as tuned to Sirius, changing the position of the "plate" is no longer necessary. While tightening the bolts, watch the signal, it is likely that it will slightly deteriorate due to a change in the position of the antenna.
- Disconnect the central converter from the DiSEqC switch. In the "Manual search", change the antenna number. Connect the side converter to input 1.
- Move the converter on the holder to the right, left, up, down, tocatch the signal of the second satellite. After a strong enough signal appears, secure the converter in the indicated position.
- Disconnect the wire from the switch and connect the last converter. It is also configured as the second.
- After you have secured all three converters, connect them to the DiSEqC switch as follows: input 1 (A) - Hot Bird, input 2 (cool) - Sirius, input 3 (C) - Amos.
- In the "Antenna Installation" menu, enter the antenna numbers according to the connections to the DiSEqC-switch.
- In the "Automatic Tuning" mode, scan all the satellites, set the broadcast channels.
To learn more about the nuances of the setting, see the video posted on this page.
The work is finished, enjoyable viewing!