How to learn to talk with God
Every child from an Orthodox family is asked this question sooner or later. Still not understanding what prayer is, he already feels - this is something very important to him. But how can one not be mistaken, how to find the right words when addressing God?
Here is the conversation that took place once in a Sunday school between me and five-year-old Roma.
- I can talk to God whenever I want? So I wake up and tell my mother: "Good morning." How do I greet God?
“When you wake up, you can immediately cross yourself and greet God with the words:“ Glory to you, O God, glory to You! ”I personally do this. Once upon a time, a priest taught me this.
And then I ask God for the blessing of the coming day, that He Himself would guide me to help avoid evil deeds. You can ask the Lord for this in your own words - the way you think and feel.
- And then everything will work out for me on this day?
- Of course. But remember - a lot depends on you.One very good person, Metropolitan Anthony Surozhsky, said: “Look at the new day - a new day that never existed before, never, this is a completely fresh day, and it spreads like a big snowy plain before us, nobody has walked on it yet . And you are offered: here you will go on this plain to some kind of your goal - look, so pass, so that your feet will lay a good trail, so as not to banish this snow. And consider that everything that happens in this day is to you from God; circumstances, people - either you are sent to them in order to pass on something to them, or they are sent to you in order to pass on something to you. And so go yourself. Cross it - and went. "
“The shortest prayer I know is“ Lord, have mercy! ” But why should I ask for mercy, I'm not a criminal in prison?
- Yes, they put in jail for very bad deeds: theft, murder. In the Church, such actions are called sin. But it turns out that in its infancy, sin is in each of us. Have you ever had a desire to take someone else without demand or to prove your case with the help of a fight? As soon as such thoughts appear in your head, you should immediately ask: “Lord, have mercy!” So that the Lord will keep from committing sin.After all, he knows not only what we do, but also what we think about. And sinful thoughts, if we do not chase them away, alienate us from God, His protection and help.
- What can you ask of God and what is not allowed? Can I ask myself a new birthday toy?
- Of course, you can ask everything from God, as we ask our parents. But at the same time, I must honestly ask myself: do I really need this toy or a new computer? You probably remember the tale “Flower-seven-flowers”, in which the girl Zhenya spent six petals of a magical flower to fulfill her trivial desires. And only the last, seventh, petal brought her real joy when she asked to cure the sick boy Vitya.
- So, it is better to ask about what you absolutely cannot do without?
“You have to decide for yourself.” Himself to understand what is most important to you now. The Bible has a story about King Solomon. Having become the ruler at a very young age, as the Bible says, “a small lad,” he began to ask God to give him wisdom, “a reasonable heart.” The Lord was pleased that Solomon asked for this, and not for toys. And He gave him so much wisdom that none of the people could be compared with the mind of the young king. And besides, God gave him more wealth and glory.
- Grandmother says that health cannot be bought for any money. It is more important than wealth ...
“So ask God for the health and well-being of your loved ones.” Your prayer can be said in quite simple words: “Lord, mother, father, grandfather, grandmother, my sister, save and save. And help me not to quarrel with them, forgive my whims. Guardian Angel, protect me with your prayers. A saint whose name I bear, be next to me, let me learn good things from you. ”
And let's not forget to thank God for all the good that happens to us. You just have to say: “Glory to you, God, glory to you!”
- And you can ask for a dog? Last year, Ryzhik got hit by a car. It was very painful to him then.
- Of course! The Bible says that God created everything that surrounds us, including animals. God takes care of all that He has done.
- And how will God hear me? I'm not alone with Him ...
- Don't even worry about it. God knows each of us. He knows all our actions and thoughts. As proof of how well God knows all people, the Gospel says that the hairs on the head of each person are numbered.
- And what is the most important prayer?
- The most important prayer for us is the one that Jesus Christ taught His disciples. This is our Father. The Lord’s prayer is quite small and you can easily remember it: “Our Father! Whose are you in heaven! Hallowed be thy name, Thy kingdom come, thy will be done, like in heaven and on earth. Give us this day our daily bread. and leave us our debt, as we leave it to our debtor; and lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil. ”
In this prayer, we thank the God of the Creator for giving us life. And ask Him to give us everything you need for today. And also - forgive us of the transgressions, save us from sin and the power of the devil.
- All that I ask of God, will surely be fulfilled?
- When we ask God for something, it is necessary to add at the end: “Lord, for all Your will. Let it be not the way I want it, but the way You want it! ”Through prayer we receive mercy from God when our desire coincides with God's will. The Lord, as our Heavenly Father, knows best what we really need and what does not.
- The more prayers I learn, the more pleasant I will be to God. This is true?
- Not certainly in that way. It is possible and necessary to teach prayers, but it is much more important that every day you have a desire to talk with God, to trust Him with all your most important thoughts and feelings.Going to bed, ask for forgiveness for bad deeds and thank for the joyful events. Say "Thank God!" With good news and before starting any business, ask "Lord, help." Every day, every hour, try to notice the presence of God in life and in your heart.