How to check the voltage regulator?
The process of boiling up the electrolyte in the batterycars of different brands can, in the final analysis, provoke a breakdown of the voltage regulator itself. Its main function is the transmission of too much voltage to the vehicle's on-board network.
Let us examine in more detail the process of checking the regulatorvoltage on the example of the car VAZ 2106. Before you check the voltage regulator, you will need to make sure that you have a working voltmeter in your car that will measure the voltage of the generator regulator.
Instructions for checking the regulator on the car
- Before you check the voltage regulatorgenerator, it should be remembered that the check of the voltage regulator, namely, in this case, its performance should only be performed on a running engine. The engine speed of the car engine during the check should reach 3000 rpm, while during the test this frequency should not exceed the specified value.
- After you start the engine, at the same timethe crankshaft speed should already be brought to the specified frequency, you need to measure the voltage at the battery terminals with a voltmeter. In the case when the voltage is normal, that is, it will not exceed 14.8 V (this voltage is only valid when all other electrical appliances of the car are completely de-energized), the generator voltage regulator is considered to be in good order.
- When the voltmeter indicated a voltage above the norm,then you will need to connect, using an additional cable, the body of the car with the generator body. If, after the performed actions, the voltmeter indicates still on the increased voltage, this situation will only indicate that the voltage regulator was obviously broken.
- If the voltage regulator check afterconnecting the additional cable will indicate the normal voltage, then you will need to simply clean out the staff contacts, designed to connect the entire "mass" of the engine to the body of your car.
Check of the removed regulator
There are also cases when you need to check the operation of the removed voltage regulator. In this case, we will give some tips to help you accomplish this task.
- Note that the voltage regulator is bestit must be checked with the brush holder, as in this case you can immediately detect possible breaks in the brushes' leads, as well as poor contact between the brush holder and the voltage regulator.
- To check the regulator you need between brushesturn on the lamp with a power of 1-3 W and a voltage of 12 V. Next to the conclusions you need to attach "+" "B", "B", and to the mass of the regulator itself "-" power supply, voltage reaches 12 V, and then 15-16V. The lamp will light when the regulator is functional, otherwise it will not burn. When the lamp is lit both at 12V and 15-16V, this will indicate that there is a break in the regulator.
Now you know what manipulations are necessary to check the voltage regulator. Knowing how to do it correctly, you can easily perform this test yourself.