How not to fall for the bait of a primary school tutor
Your child dreamed of going to school quickly, but it turned out that he was not coping with the material and his interest in knowledge faded away? Do not give up! A good primary school tutor will help to cope with the problem. But what should it be, this good tutor? How to find and distinguish it from others? You will learn about this by reading this article.
For any child, the first years of schooling are very complex and responsible. The main task of primary school is to teach to learn. Psychologists believe that it is the first three or four years of study that lay the motivation to gain knowledge in the future. In Russia, Ukraine, an elementary school takes 3-4 years, but in Japan it takes as many as 6 years! By the way, to read and write in Japanese, students must learn about 2.5 thousand characters. So our kids can be said to be lucky!
However, it is good if your child is prepared for school, knows how to read, is healthy and sociable.But the situations are different, and sometimes parents feel that they cannot do without the help of a tutor.
Let's consider in what cases you may need a primary school tutor.
So, a tutor is needed if:
- the child will have to go to the first grade, and you would like to prepare him for this;
- Your baby is in primary school, but you feel that this or that subject is lame;
- the child was sick and missed a lot of classes, you need to pull it up;
- The baby has problems such as stuttering, speech defects, lack of concentration, inattention;
- the family moved, for example, from Ukraine to Russia, and the child needs to catch up in Russian, because the programs on this subject in one country and another are very different;
- it is necessary to prepare in the fourth grade for the state final certification, to deepen knowledge in all subjects in order to successfully study in the fifth grade, when there will be different teachers in each subject.
How to choose a primary school tutor
- On the one hand, you can use the same recommendations as in general when choosing any tutor. This means that you need to go to the educational sites and view the forms of primary school tutors to get an idea of exactly what services they offer,what is the difference between the list of these services, etc. For example, some tutors pay special attention to hand and handwriting, calligraphy. If your child does not have a beautiful handwriting, then this tutor will help you. Others write that the highlight of their work is the development of memory, attention, thinking, perception. Still others promise to lay the foundation for mastering the English language. The fourth say that they will be able to develop the child’s desire for creativity. Fifth - correct behavior, focus on psychology. In short, parents should clearly define what exactly your baby needs, and choose a tutor for these requirements.
- An important detail - where the tutor deals with the child. Here, as a rule, two options: at home or go to the house to the child. If for the high school student this moment is not very important, then for the baby and his parents he is one of the main ones: of course, the little child is more comfortable at home.
- And some parents also want the child to study not a “foreign” tutor, but the same teacher who teaches him at school. There are pros and cons. The advantages are that the teacher will be able to better help with homework, prepare for a test or dictation.And among the shortcomings - there may not be sufficient objectivity in the assessment of knowledge; In addition, the child can get used to the fact that it is not necessary to listen attentively to the lessons, because the teacher after the lessons will explain everything personally to him. So think carefully before you seek help from your child’s teacher.
- How can you find out how high the level of professionalism of the tutor you are looking for on the Internet? As usual - read the reviews. There is no way that they are completely different from each other, if we are talking about the same tutor, you will surely get a more or less objective impression from these reviews.
- Of course, it is good if those who have already used his services and can evaluate a specific result for their child will recommend you to a primary school tutor. So do not hesitate to ask.
- Many parents think which tutor is better - young or older. On the one hand, a young woman (after all, primary school teachers, as a rule, women), may quickly find a common language with the child. On the other hand, experience is a big deal. If a teacher writes that work experience is 20 years or more, it is worth considering this proposal.As for too old teachers, no offense should they be told, not all of them can be interesting conversationalists for a small child.
- An important point - the cost of training. The more experience, titles, certificates of completion of various advanced training courses, the areas in which the training is being conducted, the more the tutor appreciates his work. Although it happens differently: a tutor with work experience in a couple of years takes far less than the minimum cost (whether it is good or not, but the fact remains: youth is ambitious).
- Having studied all the points, you can fill out an application with your requirements for a tutor directly on this educational site, and specify the coordinates by which you will be contacted.
Your first meeting with a tutor.
- The first meeting with the tutor is very important. Try to organize it so that it does not immediately meet with the child, but learn a little about the peculiarities of his character and knowledge from you. So it will be easier for the teacher to find a common language with the baby.
- Be sure to find out how long one session lasts. Some teachers study for an hour, some even for an hour and a half, while psychologists saythat the best option for a primary school student is no more than 45 minutes, because longer it is very difficult for a child to concentrate attention.
- Find out what methods and teaching methods the tutor uses in his work, what tutorials he uses.
- It is important to know whether the tutor uses interactive games that encourage the child to learn, as well as video, audio, various computer programs that enliven the lesson and help to successfully master the material.
- After the tutor conducted the first lesson with your child, ask if your child’s characteristics coincided with the impression he made on the tutor. Find out how many lessons he plans to pull up a small student.
- Treat the tutor with respect, while not concluding “long-term contracts”, reserve the right to choose if for some reason the tutor and your child do not find a common language.
Child needs parental support
- Of course, in advance, even before the start of classes, you should set up the child for the teacher to come, “very kind and good,” which will help him to master everything, and things will be going well at his school.
- Be keenly interested in the child's progress, control how things are going with him at school, keep close contact with the school teacher and the tutor, because only in this cooperation it is possible to see the true picture, find out what your child does and what highly.
- If not everything works as fast as we would like, do not scold the child, especially - do not punish him. Configure it only for a positive, for example: “You will succeed in everything”; “You already read well, and soon you will read even better, you will learn so much new!” And so on. At the same time, do not indulge the child, in any case do not discuss in his presence neither a teacher nor a tutor.
For any child it is very important who will teach him
Often his teacher’s, tutor’s assessment takes place on a subconscious level: “beautiful”, “kind”, “good”, etc. It is important that the child reaches for the tutor so that good relationships are established between them. Therefore, when choosing a primary school tutor, look, after all, what impression he makes on you as a person.
What kind of teachers do children like? Again, this happens at a subconscious level, but they like cheerful, cheerful, easy-to-communicate, able to interest.And, of course, those who love children - without this quality just nowhere! This does not mean familiarity, of course, should be the golden mean in communication between the older and the younger, but with the obligatory sincere, not applied superfluous respect for the little man, his personality.
For example, one teacher formulated the so-called principle of a successful teacher called “Seven U”:
- Moderation, so that exactingness is combined with benevolence.
- Success (our teacher is the best).
- Awesome - the ability to constantly surprise a child with something new and interesting.
- Persuasiveness - a teacher, a primary school tutor should be able to speak with children in their language, not lisping, but simply with knowledge of their inner world.
- Respect for the little man.
- Balance - do not shout, do not show your bad mood.
- Smile is not a sugary smile, but sincere and benevolent will always lift your spirits. According to Exupery, a smile is a teacher’s work tool.
Of course, you can make a lot of other “portraits” of a good primary school tutor.Surely every adult has an example of such a teacher (no matter what subject) from his own school years.
The wisdom of the great teachers
Here are some tips for parents choosing a tutor. No matter how up-to-date teaching methods the primary school tutor owns, it would be good if he based his work on the wisdom of the fathers of pedagogy (by the way, you can also learn the attitude towards them from the tutor, by the way). For example, V. A. Sukhomlinsky saw the pedagogical wisdom in that the child never, under any circumstances, lose faith in his strength, so that each work he did was a step forward, even a small one. And Sukhomlinsky paid special attention to learning to read and write. Moreover, this process will then be easy if the letter becomes “an exciting piece of life, filled with living images, sounds, melodies”.
Parents will not be prevented from acquaintance at least with the basics of humane pedagogy Shalva Amonashvili, whose seminars still gather full halls of teachers and parents. Here are the main postulates of humane pedagogy:
- You need to believe in the capabilities of the child.
- To reveal in the child its original nature.
- Respect his personality.
- To direct it to the ministry of good and justice.
Whether it is this approach that tutor primary classes, you can easily see the mood of the child, and his success, and according to whether with desire or without, he is engaged with the tutor.
How to see results
Of course, it will take time to see results. How to find out if the primary school tutor has completed the tasks that you set at the beginning of the course? A real professional and just a decent tutor will not strive to work with your child ad nauseum, just to get paid. He should be tuned for the fastest possible result, and when this result is achieved, he will tell the student’s parents about it. In addition, parents, studying with a baby, will see that he began to read fluently, easily solves problems and examples, his performance in school has improved, he has gained self-confidence. So, the result of tutoring is obvious! And now - set new goals and conquer more and more new peaks together.