How much electricity does the laptop use per hour and per month?
Now in the world of information technology in theforeground goes modern technology. Probably, few people wondered how much electricity a laptop consumes per hour. In connection with the increase in tariffs, even the rich people begin to save. So how much electricity does the laptop use per hour? Let's deal with this interesting question.
Choosing a laptop
If you are only planning to purchase a laptop, thentry to pay attention to energy-efficient models. Perhaps the computer will cost you a bit more, but you will save on electricity, and in time it will pay off. Remember that different models spend electricity in different ways. To a large extent this depends on the purpose of the laptop. To find out how much the laptop consumes electricity per hour, you need to consider its different types. Unfortunately, we can not get the exact result.
The cost of electricity from the laptop
- Laptop with average performance.Let's say you bought this laptopfor work. You work on it for about 8 hours a day in various office applications, on the Internet or play unpretentious games. In this case, the laptop will consume about 80 watts per hour. For 8 hours on the counter it will run about 0,640 kW. For a month it goes 19.2 kW. Not bad, right? But this is the average laptop, which simply works. Ok, let's move on to the next example.
- Gaming laptop.How much electricity does the laptop use?a good processor and game video card? A gamer laptop will consume about 190 watts. It is difficult to calculate how much electricity a person will spend using this technique, since different people spend different time at the computer. But suppose you play it 6 hours a day. Only one day you will spend 1.14 kW, which is about 34.2 kW per month. Quite a large indicator.
- Laptop in server mode. There are people who use their computerAs a server on which they store photo and video files. Of course, such a laptop is not equipped with high technical specifications, the only thing is a capacious hard disk (several terabytes). This computer will consume about 30 watts per hour. If he works 24 hours a day, he will spend about 0.72 kW, which is 21.6 kW per month.
How to find out how much power a computer consumes
As we have already explained, electricity consumptionwill depend on many details. Performed tasks and technical characteristics of the computer do not give an opportunity to determine exactly how much electricity the laptop consumes per hour. If you buy a new computer, you can determine its power and calculate the approximate costs (on which this information is indicated). But there may be another case, you buy a laptop, which has no data on power. In this case, you will not get an estimate of the approximate costs, unless, of course, you completely disassemble it.
So, let's figure out how to find out how much power a laptop consumes? There are two effective ways that we will now consider.
- Accurate.Now you can buy a device that is capable ofdetermine the cost of electricity. You can buy such a new device in any store or on the Internet. The price of a wattmeter starts from $ 15 for the most simple models. If you want to take a more advanced model, you'll have to pay a minimum of $ 30. How does he work? The wattmeter should be inserted into the socket next to the laptop. In a few seconds he will give you all the information you need.
- Exemplary.If you do not want to spend money on various devicesto determine the consumption of electricity, you can try an alternative method, but it is not accurate. First you need to turn off all electrical appliances and leave one 100-watt light bulb. Go to the counter, you need to calculate how many turns it will make in 30 seconds. So, you remember this number. Turn off the light and turn on the computer. Count how many turns the meter will make when the laptop is turned on. If there will be much more, then you need to repeat the experiment, but with another light bulb, a more powerful one (by 200 watts).
What is the difference between different modes of energy consumption
Today, modern technologies have made it possible to reducepower consumption. If you need to leave for a while, it is not advisable to completely turn off the laptop, but in order to save it you can switch to another mode. To do this, you must run a specific program that will turn off or slow down some of the components of the device. If you are going to start working on a laptop, the program will automatically start these processes. So there was a possibility of saving on the included device.
In standby mode, the laptop does not work, but everythingequally consumes electricity, as the program is active and processes can resume at any time, as soon as the user specifies this. If your computer is in sleep mode, it will take only 30 seconds to activate all components.
The second mode of sleep is inactivity or hibernation.This mode is similar to off state. The cost of electricity in this case will be minimal. Unfortunately, even if you completely turn off the device, it will spend a small amount of electricity. This is due to network capabilities.
How much power does the laptop use in sleep mode
- Sleeping mode.In sleep mode, the laptop consumes littleelectricity, but it's still 2 times more than with the device turned off. The computer needs power to support system memory and activate all tasks when the normal operating mode is turned on. How much electricity does the laptop use in sleep mode? Typically, average computers spend about 10 watts per hour. It is worth noting that laptops in comparison with stationary computers consume less power. According to statistics, a portable device is 3 times more economical than a stationary one.
- Hibernation mode.As we have already explained, this is the second sleep mode.It looks like a complete shutdown of the computer, but in this case the data is saved in a file. To continue working with the laptop will have to wait, because the inclusion is slower than with normal sleep. The computer in this mode consumes about 5-10 watts per hour.
- Full power off.In this mode, data is not stored, butcontinue to work, you must restart the computer. Even with this system shutdown, the laptop will consume electricity. For an hour you can count about 4 watts.
How much electricity does the laptop use per month?
Of course, we will not be able to calculate exactly how much electricity will be spent per month, but we will try to get an average value that will allow us to estimate the cost of electricity from the computer.
So, how much electricity does the laptop consume?Let's say you have a medium laptop that you use for games and work. On average, you work on it for 4 hours and play for 3 hours. During operation, the electricity costs will be 0.4 kW, for games 0.45 kW and 17 hours of inactivity, which also require 68-170 watts depending on the mode. As a result, the cost of electricity per month will be about 30 kW.
How to reduce the electricity consumption of a laptop
We found out how much electricity consumeslaptop in an hour and a month, now you need to take care of saving electricity. Of course, the main thing is - when turning off, disconnect the laptop from the network, but there are still certain rules that can help in saving:
- When buying a laptop, pay attention to energy-efficient models.
- If you are comfortable, you can reduce the brightness of the screen.
- Do not spend much time playing games and turn off the laptop.
- Configure the power modes based on their needs and schedule.
Now you can calculate how muchelectricity consumes the laptop per hour and make up for itself a schedule of work that will help in saving. Remember that completely turning off the laptop will help in this. If you follow all the advice, you will spend less money on electricity.