Folk remedies for mosquitoes
Summer, our beloved for the warmth of the sun's rays and the riot of paints of herbs, brings with it unpleasant surprises in the form of mosquito bites. Pain and itching at best cause irritation, at worst - a person finds himself in a hospital bed. Meanwhile, there are simple and effective ways to deal with these blood-sucking. We will tell about them in our article.
Mosquito bite: to whom itching, to whom - tularemia
A seemingly harmless, at first glance, mosquito bite on closer examination turns out to be very dangerous. A person is able to transfer up to 500 mosquito bites, but there are exceptions to this rule. In some of us, substances that enter the bloodstream during a bite provoke a severe allergic reaction with fever, swelling and suffocation.
The attack immediately a couple of dozen blood-sucking insects cause intoxication of the body and everything that accompanies it: nausea, vomiting, headache, general weakness.
The mosquito is a carrier of arbovirus infections and tularemia.It can infect filariasis, and it is much more difficult to recover from worms than to get them.
One way to avoid such consequences is to prevent bites using mosquito repellents. How to make them, without resorting to the help of harmful chemicals, which often are not so cheap, we will tell further.
Substances that repel mosquitoes (repellents), it is not difficult to make yourself at home. We will give a few simple ways to get an effective tool in 5-10 minutes, causing persistent rejection in mosquitoes.
Means on the basis of essential oils No. 1 (spray)
Ingredients that you will need:
- 2 tbsp. spoons of vodka (also suitable for medical alcohol);
- 110 drops of essential oil. Any of the following will suit: eucalyptus, lavender, cedar, clove, rosemary, lemongrass, peppermint, lemon balm, cinnamon, tea tree. You can mix two oils, the main thing is not to increase the volume.
In the sprayer pour vodka and oil. Essential oils mix in the ratio of 50% eucalyptus and 50% of any other (or several), and then also add to the sprayer.Shake well: the product is ready to use. Shake repellent necessary before each spraying.
Due to the presence in the composition of alcohol and eucalyptus oil, this tool is not recommended for children under 3 years old. They are more suitable below listed repellents.
Means with essential oils No. 2 (spray)
- 20 drops of essential oil. It can be clove, geranium, citronella, basil, rosemary, lavender;
- 50 ml of water;
- 1/5 teaspoon table salt.
Preparing is simple: all the ingredients are mixed in a sprayer (salt helps dissolve the oil). Spray is sprayed on the body, hair and clothing.
Means on the basis of essential oils No. 3 (gel)
It differs from previous means, having a liquid consistency, with a gel-like base and is applied to open areas of the body, including the face.
Ingredients required for preparation:
- ½ tsp oils to choose from: chamomile, cosmetic olive, shea, coconut;
- 5-7 drops of any of the essential oils listed in the list of ingredients for repellent No. 2.
Aloe grind and squeeze the juice through a sieve or gauze. Add regular and essential oils, stir and get a gel,able to repel mosquitoes from your arms, legs and face.
Herbal remedy (spray)
Prepare the ingredients:
- 200 ml of water (preferably distilled);
- 200 ml of vodka (it is possible medical alcohol);
- 4 tbsp. Spoons of fresh or dried herbs, any of the following: peppermint, lemongrass, citronella, lemon balm, cat mint, and spearmint.
Water should be brought to a boil, pour herbs, stir, cover tightly and let it brew and cool. Strain the infusion and pour it into the sprayer, adding vodka to it. The mixture not only repels mosquitoes, but also perfectly refreshes the skin.
Store all repellents prepared with your own hands, should be in opaque containers: sunlight acts on them destructively.
The simplest types of repellents are fish oil, bird cherry leaves and rowan. By rubbing open skin with one of these products, you will protect yourself from mosquito bites.
Before use, check if the mosquito repellent will cause an allergic reaction! Apply it on a small area of skin and wait at least an hour. If there are no allergies, the repellent is safe for you.
Mosquito repellent indoor
It would be nice at the same time to protect against the invasion of the greedy bloodsucking house and apartment.Those who live above the fifth floor have nothing to fear: mosquitoes do not fly so high, therefore the location of the room itself serves as protection against their penetration. And what about those whose housing is much closer to the ground?
1. Use mosquito nets on windows and balcony doors. When this is not possible, think of the good old gauze, which helped our grandmothers in similar situations. Just do not forget to weight its ends on the doors with some weights. They will keep it in place when you air the room to escape the summer heat.
2. Try some items in the rooms to rub garlic or bread yeast. The smell will not be the most pleasant, but the mosquitoes will disappear.
3. Cherry-leaves or basil leaves laid out on the windowsill will become a reliable obstacle for those who want to enter mosquitoes. Bouquets of Dalmatian chamomile (also called Persian and Caucasian) arranged in rooms have the same effect.
4. Mosquitoes do not like the smell of tomatoes and geraniums, so you can decorate your window sills with these plants: it is useful and beautiful.
5. Was the valerian or camphor lying around in the first-aid kit? Their fumes are hated by mosquitoes.Put a few drops in a slow-frying pan and enjoy freedom from annoying insects.
6. If you have an electrofumigator in which the liquid repellent ended, do not rush to throw it away. Fill there with 100% eucalyptus extract and get an excellent mosquito repellent.
Ways to get rid of mosquitoes on summer cottages
Getting rid of mosquitoes outdoors is difficult, but possible. It is possible to reduce the flocks of insects in the summer cottages if:
- plant a walnut, bird cherry, elderberry. Mosquitoes do not like their smell, and therefore avoid close proximity;
- block bloodsucking access to water. Just need to cover the barrels, buckets and containers with lids;
- run into the pond (if there is one on the site) fry. Fish feed on mosquito larvae, reducing their population;
- prevent the reproduction of bloodsucking insects whose larvae live in tanks with water for irrigation. A few drops of engine oil form a film on the surface of the water that blocks the access of oxygen and causes the death of the larvae.
Ways to get rid of mosquitoes in nature
Leaving on the kebab and not taking with him the mosquito repellent,Use our tips:
- make a fire and move closer to it. Mosquitoes do not like smoke, preferring fresh air. Especially they do not like the smell of burnt needles and juniper branches;
- hold on to the wind: it blows down light insects, preventing you from reaching your intended destination, that is, before you;
- Narvite tansy or marsh mint and put around you, creating a protective contour that scares insects.
Mosquito bites remedies
If the cunning mosquito has bypassed the traps and has reached the cherished goal, measures should be taken to eliminate the unpleasant consequences: itching and swelling. In such cases, help:
- salt solution;
- a compress of vodka or vinegar;
- ground leaves of parsley;
- onion juice;
- boric alcohol;
- gruel from raw potatoes, grated.
We wish you a summer without mosquitoes!