Cross bite: before and after treatment in adults and children
Jul 14, 2018
Cross bite is a kind of anomaly, which manifests itself in the fact that the lower and upper jawbones are displaced horizontally in relation to each other.If people have such a defect, a row of teeth, located at the top, intersects with the lower one.In this case, the temporal joints of the human skull, its facial bones and lower jaw can develop asymmetrically.
All this has negative consequences in the form of disturbed chewing and respiratory functions, arising speech problems, traumatic occlusion( in dentistry, occlusion is any contact of the upper and lower rows of dental).Therefore, such a defect must be corrected.It's a long and complicated business, it's impossible to delay, we must start at an early age, as soon as we discovered a cross bite.The photos before and after clearly illustrate the difference in what was( the anomaly of the cross bite) and what became( corrected bite with braces).
How the cross biteis classified
This anomaly develops both in the lateral jaw areas and in the anterior part.The orthodontics science defines several different forms of this pathology:
- Bite of buccal type.At the same time, the contact of the lateral teeth is broken, chewing food is difficult.The jaw is often shifted, but sometimes it stays absolutely in its place.
- Bite of the lingual type.It is characterized by the absence of contact between the teeth-antagonists or the closing of the teeth of the lateral, this is due to a narrowed or widened row of teeth at the top.This bite happens both on one side and with both.
- Bite of buccal-lingual type.It has three varieties: a gnathic bite( when the jawbone is narrowed or widened), a dental alveolar bite( when the dental alveolar arches of the jaws are too weak or, conversely, strongly developed), the bite is joint( accompanied by a shift towards the lower jaw).
Variant of cross bite
What causes such a pathology
The reasons can be very many and all of them are quite different:
- at birth there is cleft palate;
- heredity( if one of the parents has a cross bite, then the child may suffer from this anomaly);
- inflammatory processes in the body, in which the development and growth of jaws is disturbed;
- not quite right position of the child when he sleeps( very negative consequences can be from the banal, it would seem, putting under the cheek a folded palm or fist);
- diseases that adversely affect calcium-phosphorus metabolism in the child's body;
- trauma to the face;
- during their embryonic process of tooth growth, their laying is disturbed;
- bad habits, so peculiar to kids( prop up their cheeks with a fist, suck a toy or fingers, eat their lips);
- premature or later loss of dairy teeth;
- bruxism( in the common people gnashing or tapping with teeth in a dream);
- disordered uncoordinated work of the chewing musculature;
- hemiatrophy of the facial muscles( a disease in which one half of the face is diminished);
- is broken breathing through the nose.
Than the cross bite of
threatens. If the defect is not treated at the time, the consequences can be different, unpleasant, sometimes even too serious.For example:
- As the food is chewed poorly, the work of the entire gastrointestinal tract is disrupted.
- Problems with speech and not quite a beautiful aesthetic, appearance cause a number of complexes.
- Much more often with such an anomaly occurs and develops periodontal disease and caries.
- The breathing process becomes difficult.
- Severe headaches may occur.
- Often there is an inflammation of the throat.
- People with a cross bite are most prone to increased pressure.
Cross bite in adults
Now it becomes clear and understandable why it is so urgent to correct cross-bite in adults and children.
How this pathology manifests
This defect has a very diverse and broad clinical picture.
Face asymmetry with cross bite
First, the motor function of the lower jaw is limited.This leads to inadequate chewing of products entering the body, and to a disease such as periodontitis.If you open your mouth wide, the lower jaw is slightly shifted( in this case, it can be displaced both horizontally and diagonally).
Secondly, the symptomatology is determined by the face.Very often it manifests itself in its uniform change.The upper lip falls, and the opposite side of the face is flattened from below.A chin can be shifted to one side.There is an asymmetrical anterior( facial) part of the skull.
How does cross bite
Third, impaired chewing function, people with this defect often while eating bitten cheeks.Pronunciation of sounds, speech is also violated.
How to correct this anomaly in a child
Whatever the form of cross-bite, the cause of its origin and age of the patient, treatment should begin immediately clear.
cross bite before and after treatment
The child cross bite can be corrected by taking the following measures:
- first need to get rid of bad habits( it is necessary to strictly prohibit the child to take their fingers and toys and sucking on them);
- it is necessary to watch how the baby sleeps( if you put your fist under the cheek, you must carefully remove it);
- for the oral cavity and nasopharynx a therapeutic and health-improving complex of measures is carried out;
- if dairy baby teeth have tubercles, they need to be ground, as they can interfere with lateral movements of the lower jaw;
- , as soon as a cross bite is detected in children, an experienced doctor should prescribe the treatment( most often the dentition is disconnected, if narrowed, special plates with springs and cogs for enlargement will be assigned);
- in the period of particularly intensive growth of the jaws use the regulators of Frenkel's functions, activators.
How to fix a defect in the adult
not only in early childhood, but even at a later age may appear cross-bite.Treatment in adults often consists in the use of drugs orotodontia.These are special systems by which they expand or narrow a certain area of the dental arch, normalize the chewing musculature, and put the lower jaw in place.Braces are installed on the dentition.How much they have to wear depends on the severity of the anomaly.
cross bite photos before and after treatment
When the bite is restored, it is very important to keep the result achieved.It is advisable to use a retention apparatus( removable plates are put on at night).Anything that an orthodontist will recommend, should be done regularly and accurately.
Apparently, the cross bite - pathology is far from banal and not harmless.To get rid of it you need time, patience, effort and endurance.Both the specialist doctor and the patient himself must treat the problem with understanding.But the beauty of the human face, the health of the body is more important.You can gain strength and suffer.